DANGEROUS ASSUMPTIONS that Work to Keep You (US) from Connecting and Succeeding
Following is a list of crazy talk, that maybe even you have indulged in. This kind of thinking is dangerous to all of us because it's driven by assumptions that are rooted in bias, faulty or inadequate information, and often driven by ridiculous generalizations.
You are in charge of your business, your quality of life, where you live, and how you live. Register for the Create WV Conference today and let's talk about all this and more. Lame Assumptions That Keep Us From Working Together to Improve Things
1. Others wouldn't understand what I'm talking about or thinking.
2. People already know what they need to do, they just refuse to do it. If people around here cared, they'd change things.
3. Everyone in this place has an entitlement mentality. They don't want to pay for anything.
4. People are too stupid to even know they need to stop what they are doing to themselves, their kids and communities.
5. People are too mean and don't care that they make decisions that limit or harm themselves, their children, other people's children, and communities.
6. People in power have no idea how much needs to change. They just don't care about building a future that will embrace new opportunities that may topple them from their position of control.
7. Corporations are all greedy. Coal miners would feel betrayed if we talked about bringing other jobs and opportunities to West Virginia. Someone would get so mad they'd hurt my future opportunities.
8. Nothing will change.
9. I know everyone else is invited to Create WV, but they probably won't want to hear what I have to say.
10. Create WV is a bunch of liberal hippies who don't know anything about business or how the real world operates.
11. Nothing will change until the court system changes.
12. Nothing will change until the tax structure changes.
13. Every politician is self-interested and will continue to throw the best interests of the people of West Virginia under the bus.
14. The poor people of West Virginia don't have any options.
15. There's nothing anyone can do with the people or the land in many parts of West Virginia. It's all a lost cause.
16. Our community doesn't have the same problems as other communities.
17. There's no way we can change things without major grant funding or the government's help.
18. I have to move away from here if I want to make a living as a creative professional.
19. This place is so boring. The people are too stupid to care.
20. We have a ready and able workforce, ready to earn a living in the innovation-based, knowledge-driven economy.
21. It was good enough for me, it's good enough for my kids.
22. My opinion doesn't matter. I'm powerless.